About Stirling Rowing Club
Stirling Rowing Club has a long and fruitful history, dating back from the original club formed in 1853, through to its closure in 1860.
Thirty-one years on in 1891, Stirling Amateur Rowing Club was born in its current capacity and from here the club went from strength to strength, becoming one of the distinguished clubs in Scotland.
In May 1994, Stirling Rowing Club produced a booklet about these earlier years, from 1853 to 1906. The information was produced by Gordon Watson and our thanks goes out to him for producing it and trawling through local and national paper cuttings, minute books etc.
You can download the booklet at this link. Unfortunately, the booklet does only cover up to 1906 and if any more recent history arises, we will endeavor to add this to the site
The River Forth
Stirling Rowing Club is based on the River Forth which rises at Loch Ard in The Trossachs, some 19 miles west of Stirling. It flows roughly eastward, through Aberfoyle, joining with the Duchray and Kelty Water, and out over the flat expanse of the Flanders Moss.
It is then joined by the River Teith and the River Allan, before meandering through the ancient City of Stirling. At this point, the river widens and becomes tidal and it is here the last (seasonal) ford of the river exists.
From here, the Forth flows east over the Carse of Stirling and pass the towns of Cambus, Alloa and Airth. When reaching Kincardine, the river begins to widen into an estuary, the Firth of Forth.
Bridges over the Forth
Upstream of Stirling, the river is rather small and is crossed in numerous places (although prior to modern drainage works, the ground was often treacherously marshy near the riverbank). After its confluence with the Teith and Allan, the river is sufficiently wide that a significant bridge is required. A bridge has existed at Stirling since at least the 13th century, and until the opening of the road crossing at Kincardine in 1936, Stirling remained the easternmost road crossing. Much further downstream at Queensferry the famous rail bridge opened in 1890 and a modern road bridge in 1964. A swinging railway bridge between Alloa on the north shore and Throsk on the south opened in 1885 and was closed (and largely demolished) in 1970.
Plans to construct a new road bridge slightly to the West of the existing Forth road Bridge have been announced by the Scottish Executive. It is planned to open in 2016.
The Rowing Club has produced a map of the River Forth. You may require to download Adobe Acrobat to view the map.
Local river rule and circulation pattern - rowers to row with stroke side oar to bank (I.e when facing upstream, travel on the left hand side of the river)